Tuesday, October 16, 2012

Project 01






Done! Looks like things took a different turn than what I expected.

These three images are my take on alteration. Three objects, each with part of their surface texture removed and replaced with something else, merging two images as one. The project began as an attempt to peek into the fourth dimension: the textures represent what the object once was before it became a leaf, a page in a book, et cetera. I took pictures of what I assumed plants, paper and DVDs were made of: dirt, wood, and something vaguely adamantine. Throughout the course of compositing these images, my research began to poke holes at my theory. In fact, plants made mostly out of the carbon in the air, not the dirt in the soil. DVDs are made from alloys of silver, indium, antimony, and tellurium. Paper, although technically made from wood, also contain additives, and are coated with a variety of materials for better printing. With this information in hand, the three images become naïve assumptions of what things used to be.

No comments:

Post a Comment